This ain’t your grandma’s chicken salad. Mine is packed with great flavor, a slight crunch from fresh veggies, and a surprising ingredient that lends you more protein!
You’ll note it still calls for mayo – which, by the way, I’m sorry to all you outliers, but my preference is it HAS to be Duke’s Mayo! The surprising ingredient that adds more protein? Skyr yogurt! If you’ve never had Skyr before, it’s very akin to Greek yogurt, and it adds a slight tang and lightness to this recipe. You can find it at most grocery stores these days.
Here’s my Homemade Chicken Salad:
- 3 cooked chicken breasts, or 3 large cans chicken
- 1 whole carrot, finely diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 mini dill pickles, or 1 whole, large pickle
- 1/4 c Skyr yogurt
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- Salt & pepper to taste
Rinse, dry, peel. and finely dice or mince the carrot. Cut the shallot and pickle(s) to the same size as carrots.
Whether you’ve used cooked chicken breasts or canned chicken, it should be in a shredded consistency.
Add the shredded chicken, cut veggies, mayo, and yogurt to a bowl, and mix well to combine.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can serve this room-temp, but I prefer to stick it in the fridge for a few hours and serve it cold either rolled in lettuce wraps, or on perfectly toasted sandwich bread.
And, it wouldn’t be a true “recipe” of mine without a few notes:
- You can absolutely forego the yogurt – just replace it with the same amount of mayo for a 1/2 cup total of mayo.
- Don’t like pickles? Celery would be an excellent substitute for some crunch and flavor!
If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think!